Six Weeks Away


Except for college, I have never been away from home for more than three weeks in my entire life. I've been pondering what I have learned by being away for six weeks.

The first thing is that I have a lot more time for pondering. Sitting alone in restaurants, sitting on benches looking up, wandering around the docks. I just wish I was able to retain more of my brilliant observations until I get back to my computer. Short term memory loss....bugger!

The only number I have had to remember for the last six weeks is which floor I am on when I get into the hotel lift - easy peasy. Pretty sure I still know my phone number...not so sure about the security door locks in my condo though...

I have been watching my budget carefully, which means at least two meals a day have been essentially snacks: bananas, yogurt, cheese, oranges, croissants, cup-a-soup, cheese, pot noodles, biscuits, crisps, and cheese. Most of my lunch meals out have been either soup, or toasties (really, really good grilled cheese sandwiches), or scouse (Liverpudlian lamb stew). While these have all been delicious, I am very hungry for:
    Chinese take-out
    Grocery-store roast chicken
    Pizza
    Amy & Arne's Pulled pork
    My lentil salad
    Breakfast at St Andrew's

Never in my entire life have I gone six weeks without driving. Childbirth, knee replacements - I always bounced back ahead of schedule. I don't expect any consequences, but I think it is interesting nevertheless.

I've certainly not been off the grid while away, in fact I've been on the grid more than normal, with the exception of emails. Like most people, I get upwards of 125 emails a day. Early on I decided not to waste time on the ads from various on-line stores I regularly buy from. Results from ongoing Google and Ebay searches (average 10/day) - delete. All news and sport emails from sources other than the 2 I trust most - delete. Updates from Pinterest, Flickr, Twitter - delete. That pretty much leaves my daily comics, my daily trivia questions, The Anfield Wrap, and actual personal emails which is roughly 10 or less a day. It will be interesting to see how long before I am back to actually reading all the emails I have done quite nicely without for the last six weeks.

There are almost certainly a few more consequences of being away for six weeks. I've probably already pondered them. I've probably already forgotten them.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back! (Soon.) You'll be okay driving. I went more than a year at a time without driving, while coming back and forth from France, and never forgot how. And I HATE driving.

    ReplyDelete